My Week: Street Numbering

offerIt is a plain old English Hello today folks. Also, a boring blog post since I am exhausted and not in a good mood.

I am still busy with the purchase of FT Tower. The neighbour is a not an easy person. To bore you a little; this is what I am trying to sort out.


  • FT Tower address – 123 Ground Floor Shop, FT Road, 1NW 6WW
  • Neighbour address – 123 Ground Floor Flat, FT Road, 1NW 6WW


The address is recognised as 123 FT Road. It means we both use the same address.

Solution Suggested to Neighbour

Subject to local authority approval

  • Neighbour address: 123a FT Road
  • FT Prac Address 123 FT Road

Solution rejected by the neighbour. He wants 123 FT Road. I said okay.

Application to Local Authority

I wrote to the local authority outlining the change of address. They said no. The business premises address needs to be 123 FT Road and residential address need to be 123a FT Road.

Neighbour’s response-  for him to take 123a FT Road, he needs compensation. I told him to take a hike.

What to do?

A fantastic person within the local authority provided a helpful response on the way forward:

“Finally, it is not up to a property owner or tenant to determine what their address is. This is the role of the local authority. The Council possess the legal power to dictate to a resident what their address is and force them to adopt it (changing all of their legal documentation if necessary). In fact we have done this on several occasions already this year but normally in instances where residents have adopted an address off of one street when in actual fact their front door is on another street.

Can I ask are you experiencing any issues such as post going missing as a result of the confusion surrounding the addressing? If I can obtain some form of justification for forcing a change to both addresses then that would help. But just to warn you forcing a change to an address is a lengthy process. One of the residents is normally unhappy and the Council must allow them to go through a complaints procedure which can be up to 3 months long.”

I will try and force the change on the neighbour. I tried to be reasonable with him, that did not work. He is a right back hole.

Care to comment?

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s